In 2005, the Department of Foreign Languages - Faculty of Basic Sciences was founded with two departments: the Department of English Major and the Department of Basic English. By September 2009, to meet the changing needs of the province and neighboring areas of the country, the Faculty of Foreign Languages was established with two major training programs: Tourism and Translation and Interpretation. The training program is linked to standard training programs from prestigious domestic universities, including Hanoi University, Hue University of Foreign Languages and Da Nang University of Foreign Languages.
The Faculty of Foreign Languages is responsible for training and doing research in the field of languages, with the following tasks:
- Teaching English for English-major students and second bachelor’s degree of English in Tourism and Interpretation -Translation.
- Teaching foreign languages (English, French, Chinese, Russian, etc.) for university students.
- Organizing English courses certified by the Ministry of Education and Training.
- Offering courses in TOEIC for university students and other learners.
- Teaching ESP for students of other faculties in Nha Trang University.
Currently the faculty consists of three departments (English for Tourism, English Translation and Interpretation and Language Practice) and a foreign language center. Of all faculty members, 90% hold an M.A. degree. Other international volunteer teachers come from the international organizations such as Australian Volunteers International (AVI), Volunteers in Asia (VIA), World University Service of Canada (WUCS) and Alaska of the United States.
Department of Language Practice
Officially founded in 2009, the department of Language Practice was developed in the Faculty of Foreign Languages to provide students with a comprehensive and practical command of the English language. Our goal is to provide students with a broad knowledge base of the English language in four basic skill areas of language learning (listening, speaking, reading and writing) before they move onto professional training courses in translation, interpretation, culture and tourism. In the program, students have the opportunity to practice and develop proficiency in English communication skills for both social and professional contexts.
The department’s instructors also work to implement efficient and effective instructional methods that increase the possibility of constant language self-processing, allowing learners to continuously develop their knowledge and professional skills. Learners are also challenged to learn the skills vital to conducting research in the field of language, culture, and literature-civilization using the English language.
Department of Translation and Interpretation
Originated and separated from the Faculty of Foreign Languages, the Department of Translation and Interpretation was officially established on September 9th 2009. At present, it stands as South-Central Vietnam’s most prestigious translation-interpretation department. This distinction exists in part because of the department’s highly qualified teaching staff who provide students with comprehensive instruction of the English language in the Translation-Interpretation field. Currently, the department has 7 lecturers with M.A. degrees.
The Department trains English major students who are highly qualified in both theory and practice. Students graduate with the ability to work creatively and independently in the translation and interpretation sector.
The Department often organizes academic activities and professional seminars in order to upgrade the teaching capacity of the teachers. The teachers of the Department also join in major training courses at the University and at partnering Universities.
Department of Tourism English
The Department of Tourism English was officially established on September 9, 2009. In order to meet the changing needs of society in terms of industrialization, modernization and global integration, the Department of Tourism English established the following objectives:
- Providing students with profound English language skills in the four basic areas of language learning (listening, speaking, reading and writing).
- Providing students with a comprehensive knowledge of hospitality and sustainable tourism.
- Training English major students who are highly qualified to work in tourism and approach work with positive attitudes.
- Creating a robust learning environment through which students have many opportunities to study and practice in the field of tourism through field trips and internship periods in many well-renowned hotels and holiday resorts in the area.
Over the years, the Department of Tourism English has made significant contributions in training and providing highly-qualified tourism students for the development of tourism in both Khanh Hoa province and Vietnam as a whole.
Apart from training and providing human resources of high quality, the Department of Tourism English also organizes academic activities such as seminars, workshops and conferences with the participation of professional experts and professors from prestigious international organizations and institutes. These academic activities offer opportunities for the teaching staff to exchange and improve their teaching methods and knowledge.
Center for Foreign Languages
The Center for Foreign languages at Nha Trang University has also made great contributions in teaching foreign languages to students. We offer several foreign language courses including English, Russian, Chinese and French for students at all levels. The center has also assisted the faculty in holding TOEIC tests for the final year students. Further information at Center for Foreign Languages.
Postgraduate programs: Graduate Diploma in TESOL
- Bachelor’s degree in English in Tourism
- Bachelor’s degree in Translation and Interpretation
- Second bachelor’s degree in Translation and Interpretation
- Other foreign languages certificates (English, French, Chinese, Russian, etc.) for university students.
- ESP courses for students of other faculties in Nha Trang University
- Organizing English courses certified by Ministry of Education and Training.
- Offering courses in TOEIC for university students and other learners.
The faculty is interested in various research topics to improve teaching and learning quality. Completed research has been on teaching methodologies, learning strategies, learner-centered approach, etc.
1. "Metacognitive strategies to improve Writing skills of English-major first year students at Nha Trang University"
2. "Using Electronic Portfolios to Promote Speaking Skills for EFL Adult Learners at Nha Trang University: An Investigation into Learners’ Perceptions"
3. "The use of Group Oral Presentation to develop Student-centered Learning in British culture class at Nha Trang University"
The faculty works in cooperation with prestigious domestic universities, such as Hanoi University, Hue University of Foreign Languages and Da Nang University of Foreign Languages. In addition to training affiliations in the country, the Faculty of Foreign Languages is constantly seeking foreign partnerships. For the past 10 years the Faculty has succeeded in inviting experts, foreign organizations involved in teaching and training for its teaching staff as well as students. These international organizations are Australian Volunteers International (AVI), Volunteers in Asia (VIA), World University Service of Canada (WUCS) and Alaska of the United States. These links have created the conditions to promote the training quality for English-major students at Nha Trang University in recent years.
Visiting address: Faculty of Foreign Languages, Floor 2, G1, Nha Trang Campus, 02 Nguyen Dinh Chieu, Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa, Vietnam
Mailing address: Faculty of Foreign Languages, Floor 2, G1, Nha Trang Campus, 02 Nguyen Dinh Chieu, Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa, Vietnam
Tel: +84.258.3247 1371
Fax: + 84.258.383 1147
Dean: Mrs. Vo Nguyen Hong Lam, M.A.
Mobile phone: +84.963076417