1. Research interest:
Microbiological Biotechnology (bacteria, fungi, marine fungi, probiotic).
Aquatic Biodiversity and conservation.
Marine bioactive substances (biopolymer, Biofuel, marine bioactive compounds)
Plant biotechnology (Tissue culture).
Environmental engineering (design and construction of environmental treatment systems).
2. Ongoing research projects:
Microbiome, Probiotics and Vaccines, for improved Human and Animal Health.
Aquatic biodiversity and climate change.
Fish physiology and ecology.
Genetic conservation of aquatic ecosystems.
Food safety and Functional foods.
Medical plants and bacteriocin for human health.
Probiotics for shrimp and lobster, anticancer bacteriocins, marine fungi biodiversity.
Aquaculture environment assessment, food safety in marine polyculture.
Aquatic biodiversity and conservation of genetic resources
Diagnostic techniques for virus, bacteria and parasitic pathogens in shrimp and fish.
Plant tissue culture in seaweed and medicinal mushrooms.
Marine bioactive compounds: technology and application.
4. Research groups:
Microbial Biotechnology led by Assoc. Prof. Nguyen Van Duy. Its interests are Microbiome, Probiotics and Vaccines, for improved Human and Animal Health, including:
- Probiotics for shrimps and lobsters.
- Bacteriocins with antimicrobial/anticancer activity for improved human and animal health.
- Marine bacteria and fungi biodiversity.
- Spore vaccines against Helicobacter pylori.
Biodiversity and Conservation led by Dr. Dang Thuy Binh. Its interests are:
- Aquatic Biodiversity and climate change.
- Molecular phylogeny and phytogeography of aquatic organism.
- Molecular Ecology and Evolution.
- Conservation Genetics for Improved Biodiversity and Resource Management.
Marine Bioactive Substances led by Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ngo Dang Nghia. Its interests are:
- Marine biopolymer and seaweed extracts: alginate, chitin, chitosan and their derivatives applied in food and biomedicine.
- Marine toxin from Conus snail.
Plant Biotechnology led by Dr. Pham Thi Minh Thu. Its interests are:
- Plant/Algea tissue cculture.
- Application of marine products/compounds on plant tissue culture and agriculture.
- Application of biotechnology in agriculture and/or medicine.
- Medicinal mushroom (Cordyceps militaris) culture.
- Microplastic pollution.
- Aquaculture byproduct treatment.
- Plastic pyrolysis process.
- Marine Biofuel.
- List of some published papers:
1. Hoang Ngoc Cuong, Nguyen Cong Minh, Nguyen Van Hoa, Khong Trung Thang, Nguyen Anh Tuan, Trang Si Trung, 2017. High Molecular Weight and High Degree of Deacetylation of Chitosan Prepared from Squid Pens (Loligo chenisis). Journal of Polymer Materials 34(1):103-114.
2. Hoang Ngoc Cuong, Huynh Thanh Tung, Nguyen Cong Minh, Nguyen Van Hoa, Pham Thi Dan Phuong, Trang Si Trung, 2017. Antibacterial Activity of Chitosan from Squid Pens (Loligo chenisis) against Erwinia Carotovora from Soft Rot Postharvest Tomato Fruit. Journal of Polymer Materials 34(1):319-330.
3. Pham Thi Dan Phuong, Nguyen Cong Minh, Hoang Ngoc Cuong, Nguyen Van Minh, Nguyen The Han, Nguyen Van Hoa, Ha Thi Hai Yen, Trang Si Trung, 2017. Recovery of protein hydrolysate and chitosan from black tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon) heads: approaching a zero waste process. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 54 (7), 1850–1856.
4. Orélis-Ribeiro, R, KM Halanych, BT Dang, MD Bakenhaster, CR Arias, & SA Bullard, 2017. Two new species of Elopicola (Digenea: Aporocotylidae) from Hawaiian ladyfish, Elops hawaiensis (South China Sea) and Atlantic tarpon, Megalops atlanticus (Gulf of Mexico) with a comment on monophyly of elopomorph blood flukes. Parasitology International 66: 305-318.
5. Thi Hoang Quyen Tran, Nam Phuong Nguyen, Vinh Thinh Phan, Hong Cam Van (2017) Biodegradable chitosan/gelatin/glycerol film incorporated with natural bioactive compounds for skin care application. Организация и регуляция физиолого-биохимических процессов, Выпуск (19) pp 86-100. (Organization and regulation physiological and biochemical processes - Interregional collection of scientific papers, Department of Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, Voronezh State University,Russia).
6. Trang Si Trung, Nguyen Thi Khanh Huyen, Nguyen Cong Minh, Tran Thi Le Trang and Nguyen The Han, 2016. Optimization of Harvesting of Microalgal Thalassiosira pseudonana Biomass Using Chitosan Prepared from Shrimp Shell Waste. Asian J. Agric. Res., 10 (5): 162-174.
7. Hoang Ngoc Cuong, Nguyen Cong Minh, Nguyen Van Hoa, Khong Trung Thang, Nguyen Anh Tuan, Trang Si Trung, 2016. Preparation and characterization of high purity β-chitin from squid pens (Loligo chenisis). International journal of biological
8. Roberts, JR, R Orélis-Ribeiro, BT Dang, KM Halanych, & SA Bullard. Blood flukes of Asiatic softshell turtles: revision of Coeuritrema Mehra, 1933 (Digenea: Schistosomatoidea) and description of a new species infecting Chinese softshell turtles, Pelodiscus sinensis, (Testudines: Trionychidae) cultured in the Da Rang River Basin, Vietnam (2016) Folia Parasitologica 63
9. Warren, MB, R Orélis-Ribeiro, CF Ruiz, BT Dang, CR Arias, & SA Bullard. Endocarditis associated with blood fluke infections (Digenea: Aporocotylidae: Psettarium cf. anthicum) among aquacultured cobia (Rachycentron canadum) from Nha Trang Bay, Vietnam (2016) Aquaculture 468:549-557
10. Dang Thuy Binh, Vu Dang Ha Quyen, Tran Quang Sang, Truong Thi Oanh. 2016. Vibriosis in cultured seahorse (Hippocampus spp.) in Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam (2016) International Journal of Innovative Studies in Aquatic Biology and Fisheries (IJISABF), 2: 43-50
11. Van Duy Nguyen, Ha Hung Chuong Nguyen (2015): Molecular screening of Azurin-like anticancer bacteriocins from human gut microﬂora using bioinformatics. Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Computer Science, Applied Mathematics and Applications - ICCSAMA 2015, In: H.A. Le Thi et al. (eds.), Advanced Computational Methods for Knowledge Engineering, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing 358, ISSN 2194-5357, ISBN 978-3-319-17995-7, Springer, pp. 219-229. (Xếp hạng ISI Proceedings)
12. Thu Thuy Pham, Thi Hong Nhi Ho, Van Duy Nguyen (2014): Screening for bacteriocin-like antimicrobial activity against shrimp pathogenic vibrios and molecular identification of marine bacteria from otter clam Lutraria philippinarum. Thai Journal of Veterinary Medicine, 44(3): 345-353. (Xếp hạng tạp chí SCIE)
13. Nguyen Thi Thanh Tra, Nguyen Van Duy (2014): Biodiversity of major bacterial groups in association with agarwood (Aquilaria crassna) in Khanh Hoa province, Vietnam. Journal of Vietnamese Environment (Dresden University of Technology, Germany, ISSN 2193-6471), 6(2): 132-137.