Institute for Ship Research and Development was established in 1986 according to the Decision No. 1184/QD, dated October 9, 1985 of the Ministry of Education and Training. Its former name was Center for Shipbuilding and Equipment, the name was changed to Institute of Ship Research and Development in 2006 under the Decision No. 635/QD-DHNT, signed by the Rector of Nha Trang University on August 30, 2006.
The science and technology activities of the Institute wre approved by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment at the Certification No. 187, dated November 04, 1993, and the Certification No. A-539, dated July 27, 2006 of the Ministry of Science and Technology. In addition, the Institute also has approval from Khanh Hoa Department of Science and Technology for the science and technology activities at the Certification No. 04/2007/SKHCN
Functions of the Institute
1. Research & Development the Projects about ship and application of composite materials.
2. Training and handing over composite technology and design ship.
3. Producing the products, which are the results from the UNINSHIP’s projects.
4. Connection with the concerned Units in researching area.
The function of the Department is to design model of ships and products made from composite. It has made hundreds models of ships and composite products with high quality admitted by customers. Design department was equipped the modern devices in common with specialized soft-wares. So it can quickly satisfy the more and more strict demands’ customers, about the models and features.
The function of the Department is to check and issue certificates on mechanical, physical and chemical characteristics of shipbuilding materials and civil engineering materials. The Department is equipped with advanced devices according to ISO-2009 and it is run by skilled staff who have certificates on checking materials.
There are two laboratories at the Department. VR LAB – 02: Approved by Vietnam Register. VR LAB-02 is the Lab, which be in the VR LAB system, and equipped with modern devices. LAS-XD 891: Approved by Ministry of Construction with the name: the Specialist Construction Lab.
The shipyard was approved by Vietnam Register with the title “Unit manufactures the composite products”. Its function is to manufacture and repair productions that are the results of research project conducted by UNINSHIP. The shipyard is equipped tools for shipbuilding such as rail system to launch and dock ships, 15 ton crane, and other tools for manufacturing metals and composite
UNINSHIP has close relationships with Vietnamese institutions such as Hanoi University of Science and Technology, Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, University of Natural Sciences (Vietnam National University, Hanoi) in training and research on composite technology and material mechanics.
1. Designing and manufacturing many kinds of boat.
2. Supplying different kinds of composite tanks in various sizes and shapes for water, fuel and aquaculture purposes.
3. Covering old or new wooden boat with composite material.
4. Providing technical methods to improve effectiveness of heat-insulation for fishing wooden boats.
5. Technical instruction and technological transference of manufacture of composite and wooden boats.
Research interests: Applying new materials into ship building and fishery logistics
Some main research projects
1. “Research on designing and manufacturing FRP fishing boats” – National Project – carried out UNISHIP and Polyme Center - Ho Chi Minh City Polytechnic University in 1990. Goal of the project is to improve process of manufacturing FRP Fishing Boat in the period 1995-1997.
2 “Research on partial mechanical reinforced methods to cover wooden boats by composite material”. Code number: B98-33-13-TN. Goal of the project is to improve the process covering of wooden boat by composite material with partial mechanical reinforcement.
3. “Research on calculation of natural vibration frequency of fiber composite plate used in ship construction”, Code number: B2002-13-33. Goal of the project is to improve technology process in manufacturing Composite Tugboat 300-400Hp for river transportation. Code: B2005-33-01-DA. Results: Successfully manufactured 02 composite tugboats: CDKN07 and CDKN 08 for the Water Transport Company 1- Hanoi.
4. “Research on designing composite rescue boats for Vietnam ships operating in international lines”. Code number: TR2005-33-06. Goal of the project is to improve technology process of manufacturing composite rescue boats for ships operating in international lines. Code: B2006-33-01-DA. Results: Provided over 60 composite rescue boats for the ships.
5. “Research on calculation of structure and advance of design file of composite passenger catamarans used for sea tourism”. Code: B2009-13-39. Goal of the project is to improve technology process of manufacturing composite passenger catamarans used for sea tourism. Code: B2010-13-01-DA. Results: Successfully Built Thanh Van 05 Ship and Long Phu 17 Ship.
6. “Research on designing, manufacturing a composite system to treat dirty water equipped on passenger boats”. Code: TR-2009-13-07. Results of the project: manufactured successfully a composite system to treat dirty water for tourism boats and fishing boats operating in sea and river lines.
Institute for Ship Research and Development. 44 Hon Ro, Phuoc Dong, Nha Trang City, Khanh Hoa.
Tel: +84.258.371 4377 +84.258.371 4476 +84.258.371 5189
Fax: +84.258.371 4025
Director: Mr. Nguyen Van Dat, PhD.
Tel: + 84.258.371 4377
Vice - Directors: Mr. Phan Tuan Long, MSc.
Tel: + 84.258.371 4476
Mr. Dinh Duc Tien, MSc.
Tel: + 84.58.371 5189